Throughout this 6 weeks, I have been learning Spanish through both Duolingo and Busuu. Starting out with absolutely no knowledge in Spanish, I began with Duolingo, which was a fantastic tool to slowly build up my skills in basic words and phrases.
Both apps are available on the computer and your phone, which means that you can learn anywhere, and any time. I have given a brief overview of both tools in this video:
Duolingo was a great tool for me and one that I will use in my classrooms in any way possible. There are also so many ways to learn, such as podcasts, stories, lessons, chats, and more.
Busuu is another one of the apps that I recently explored and found that it was very useful for learning dialogue and conversation. There are so many levels that you can go through and they are all applicable phrases that would be used while travelling (ex. who am I, what do I do, etc.).
At the beginning of my learning project, my goal was to be able to order at a restaurant in Spain. Duolingo had various food levels that were very helpful for me in this area. I now am able to confidently say the following phrases, along with many others, and cannot wait to show off my skills in future travels.
- How much is it?: ¿Cuanto cuesta? (KWAHN-toh KWEH-stah)
- That was delicious: Estuvo delicioso (est-ooh-vo del-ish-ee-oh-so)
- I am vegetarian: Soy vegetariano/a (soy veg-et-air-ee-an-oh/ah)
- A menu: Un menú (oon mey-noo)
- A drink: Una bebida (oon-ah beh-beed-ah)
- Beer: Cerveza (ser-vay-sah)
- Red or white wine: Vino tinto or blanco (vee-noh teen-toh or blahn-coh)
- Water: Agua (ahg-wah)
- A coffee: Un café (uhn cah-fey)
- Sandwich: Torta (tore-tah)
- Chicken: Pollo (poy-oh)
Overall, I am so pleased with this project and how quickly I was able to learn a new language. I went out of my comfort zone and am excited to continue on in my journey in learning Spanish!